Hey hey friends! I'm andrea and welcome to my still-very-new and ever-a-work-in-progress blog, strawberry mohawk. I'm very excited that you are here and hope you'll enjoy my little adventures as much as I do!
a few little tidbits about the girl:
- After a decade of transferring schools, changing majors & taking 'breaks', I finally finished my undergraduate degree in Psychology with a minor in studio art.
- My goal is to get my masters in Art Therapy and would love to work with adolescent girls about body issues, women's issues, self-esteem issues and anything else of that nature.
- I fell in love with a man and immediately got pregnant. Our sweet baby is in his first year of life and now I'm madly in love with two special guys (ok, it's 3 guys actually: My man, my baby & my dog bronson).
- I like to make things, although my hands can never keep up with my ideas... which is an ever frustrating battle. It also means I move from one idea to the next, never finishing anything. someday... someday.
- I have always (and I quite literally mean always) been fashion-obsessed, although these days I am lucky if I make it out of my pajamas. (I sigh as I currently look down to see John's boxers and a nursing tank in place of the old stand-by, a vintage sundress, C'est la vie...)
- I take pictures, but do not consider myself a photographer
- My dream is to get an old airstream and travel this continent with my boys, collecting treasures and having adventures.
- I was a long time vegan, turned vegetarian while pregnant. I am now educating myself on macrobiotic diets and considering eating local/happy meat (but don't quote me on that).
a few little tidbits about the blog:
- I post about Redding, my baby... so if you have something against adorable, chubby miniature people, this blog may not be the one for you. (perhaps that was harsh? let me explain. None of our family or any of my best girlfriends live anywhere near us, I also do not have a Facebook, sooooo the blog is a way I keep the people who care updated).
- I make things, ranging from christmas ornaments to weird found-object sculptures. For years people have been telling me "you should sell this ___." Well, the problem is a lot of the time I don't want to sell my work. I do, however, want to share it and help inspire others to create.
- Vintage Fashion, heeeeey! (I'm not really sure why I felt the need to write 'hey' in there... it just seems to fit, doesn't it?). Occasionally I do get out of my pajamas, and on those days I'd like to share with you the weal & woe of my fashion. I also think you'd get sick (or I would) of seeing myself all the time, so I am always signing up friends to model for me.
- I live in Austin Texas and am absolutely in love with this town, I might share some about it, but honestly I'm a jealous lover, so I might just keep it to myself in fear that you will come in droves to my fair city and steal her away from me.
- Ok, here is the honest truth: I curse like a sailor (I'm sorry mom). I try to limit it here on the blog to the occasional 'damn', but sometimes I can't help it. I'd like to blame it on being an incredibly passionate person. I'd also like you to know that it is rumored that Julie Andrew has an awful swearing problem ... just wanted to throw that out there.
- I consider myself a passionate writer. Which means I am not really a writer- per se. I only write when something has really moved me... and I find it really, very incredibly hard to proof-read those posts. forgive my mistakes.
- There are other things that I feel very passionate about that could spill over into my blogposts (although I try not to be controversial): women's rights, natural child-birth and midwifery, breastfeeding, attachment parenting, equal marriage rights, diet & health
about the name:
- I have hair that is constantly evolving. But my favorite ever was when I had a strawberry colored mohawk. That's it. Perhaps the blog is just an ode to fabulous hair. or not.
much love and credit to my photographer boyfriend, John Acker. all photos taken of me are his doing.